Manufacturing has always been the backbone of industry in America, often stepping up when our country needs it most. During World War II many factories converted their lines to produce military equipment, transportation and ammunition. As we are engulfed in a global pandemic, Manufacturers are, yet again, re-tooling and re-positioning to provide essential items.
With the growing crisis of the Coronavirus in the United States, and around the world, it is easy to feel overwhelmed and disheartened. But as Mr. Rogers said “…you will always find people who are helping.” Covid-19 brought with it a surge in the need for ventilators, N-95 masks and personal protective equipment (PPE) to help medical and emergency staff treat critical cases of the virus.
HERE ARE JUST A FEW EXAMPLES OF COMPANIES, LARGE & SMALL, WORKING TO FIGHT COVID-19:
GM is working with suppliers, subsidiaries and partners to make ventilators, over 600 companies are assisting in the design, production and distribution of
Virgin Orbit and the University of CA, Irvine and University of TX, Austin have developed a ventilator device; they are working with the FDA to get emergency approval
Outdoor gear builders in North Carolina are turning their factories into PPE-manufacturing machines to churn out face masks, Tyvek gowns and face shields in the millions for medical workers and first responders.
The Tech industry has also shifted much of their manufacturing and production:
- Apple to donate millions of masks as well as donate $15 million
- 3M increases their production of masks to 35 million per month
- Razer converts some lines to manufacturer masks and will donate them
- HP is producing and distributing numerous products and parts related to the requested medical devices.
- Facebook said it is donating $20 million to support relief efforts
- Bill Gates is donating $50 million to speed the development of a coronavirus treatment.
- IBM said it was using its supercomputing power to help scientists doing research on COVID-19
We are in uncharted territory, but we have faced what felt like insurmountable challenges before, surviving stronger than ever. Stay safe, stay informed and stay positive.